Sabado, Marso 1, 2014

Blogpost # 8 : Misfortune Madness


When I was little I called myself the harbinger of bad luck because  I've been always unlucky in life, love, games.. well mostly anything and the weird thing is that the things that is bad luck to other people is good luck on my side, example is that I like black kittens and when a Friday the 13th approaches I become lucky and a lot of good things happen to me. But all of that is just a placebo I think because there are times that I always wait for the bad things to come  and that's why it makes an impact to me but the real deal is the good and bad things are just balanced but it gets pretty tough because we somehow put more weight in those bad stuff that's happening and not on the good stuff so that's why we feel unlucky at times.

To know more about bad luck we must find its real meaning. As I browse the dictonary  I found the meaning of bad luck and its meaning is that It's an unnecessary and unforeseen trouble resulting from an unfortunate event. Well I think bad luck can easily be determined by a chain of unfortunate events and not just one because if it is just one unfortunate event well it might as well be just a coincidence and not purely bad luck itself.

Moving on.. I was searching for an article when I remembered that I saw two black cats crossed my path on my way home and suddenly I remembered a saying that It's unlucky when a black cat does that to you so I somehow got scared but due to my thinking that I'm a harbinger if bad luck  I became awfully lucky that night so my article now is Why are Black Cats Considered Bad Luck from the site MentalFloss and it is written by Kate Erbland.

To summarize it all up Kate stated here some information on why the black cat was so called bad luck. black cats were said to be associated with the black plague in which caused the death of a lot of black cats cause they were killed which pretty much made the plague worst because the black plague was spread by rodents.
One thing to consider also is that in Europe black cats were said to be the familiars of witches so that's why they have this bad reputation of being unlucky. Well not all black cats are bad luck because in Great Britain black cats are given as gifts because they believe they have strong powers and in Japan and Russia Cats are considered and had been a symbol of good luck. Lastly the cats in ancient Egypt are considered gods and it is a capital crime to kill one so don't think all things are unlucky because of their bad reputation because maybe for you they can be lucky too.

While I finished reading the article Kate quoted that "Black cats pop up frighteningly frequently in all sorts of culturally based bits of folklore, and though much of their mythos is actually of the positive variety, Western tradition has so maligned the critters that black cats as bad luck have become something of a given in various circles "

So this really sums it all up that black cats aren't unlucky but people say they are unlucky because some people doesn't even know the positive reputations of black cats and according to what I've said earlier that bad things somewhat retains in our minds and bad things most likely spread instead of good things so thats why the black cats bad reputation just spreads easily unlike its good reputation that others only know about.

Then now in search of another article I picked the one related to the unluckiest day for most people.. Friday the 13th and the article that I picked was Why are we so scared of Friday the 13th? from the site Express by Leo Ruickbie.

On this article Leo talked about the reputation of Friday the 13th and some coincidences on why Friday the 13th was considered unlucky. Well first Leo explained that in the Last Supper there were 13 guests the 13th being Judas and Jesus was crucified on a Friday so thats why Friday the 13th was formed. Next was the Hanging day or the execution of the criminals and there were 13 steps up the scaffold, 13 turns in a hangman's noose and 13 pence paid to the hangman and oops i forgot to tell you every hanging day was Friday. It was also said here in the article that more murderers kill on Friday the 13th. Well if Friday the 13th is unlucky well it might be lucky for some like me and the Friday the 13th horror franchise which have grossed more than 465 million dollars at the box office for the film itself.

At the last sentence of the article Ruickbie quoted that "Friday the 13th really is unlucky for some. After looking at the evidence, researchers for the Mid Downs Health Authority, West Sussex, concluded that “it might be safer to stay at home”.".

Well if you really believe in all that Friday the 13th yes you are advised to stay at home but Friday the 13th is not a valid excuse at being absent anywhere (trust me it's not) and even if they say Friday the 13th is a day with bad luck well it doesn't hurt to don't follow these superstitions but for my own opinion its better that you don't believe in luck because when it happens you cant undo it anymore unless you have a time machine.

Bad luck or good luck its all in our heads because if we feel we are having a bad luck well.. we will somehow focus on the bad things that happens in your life but as tempting as defying the supperstitions it is still better to be safe than sorry so next time a black cat crossed your path or you broke a mirror better prepare for the worst and wish for the best

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento